Language.The official languages of the Balearic Islands are Spanish and Catalan. English, German, Italian and French are spoken in most tourist establishments.
Currency. The official currency is the euro, as across the rest of Spain. Any amount over 6,011 euros that enters or leaves Spain must be declared.
Opening times. Normal shop opening times are from 9:00 to 14:00 and 17:00 to 20:00. However, many establishments remain open over lunchtime and until 24:00. Many shops also open on some Sundays or Public Holidays.
Camping and Campsites. Due to the small size of the island, there is no campsite on Formentera. Free camping is prohibited all over the island, as is sleeping overnight in any vehicle, on the beach and in forested areas.
Emergencies. Immediate help can be provided in emergency situations (ambulances, fire service, security) by calling 112, the Balearic Island emergency service. The call is free of charge and prompt assistance is given in 4 languages (Spanish, Catalan, English and German).
Pets. People wishing to travel to Formentera with their pets should make sure this is an option in their chosen accommodation before travelling, and that they meet all the requirements to enter Spain. Furthermore, if the animal is considered a dangerous breed, it will require a certificate to travel. In any case, general and private regulations must be followed regarding the use of leads, muzzle and other applicable measures. As a general rule, domestic animals are not allowed in bars, restaurants and food shops, or on beaches or urban transport, excepting guide dogs. For more information ask Tourist Information.
Tourist Information Offices:
- La Savina Tourist Information Office. Estación Marítima de La Savina | Telephone: +34 971 32 20 57 | Fax: +34 971 32 28 25 | email@example.com. Open all year round.
- Sant Francesc Xavier Tourist Information Point. Plaza de la Constitución s/n | Telephone: +34 971 32 36 20 | firstname.lastname@example.org Open all year round.
- Es Pujols Tourist Information Office. Calle Espalmador esquina Avenida Miramar | Telephone: +34 971 32 89 97 | email@example.com. Open from 1st May to 30th October.
- Ibiza Airport Tourist Information Office.Telephone: + 34 971 32 80 91 18. Mondays to Saturdays from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 19:00.
Public Transport: Formentera has regular bus lines that run all year round, with extra services over the summer months. Timetable and details: Autocares Paya: +34 971 32 31 81 | www.busformentera.com
There is also a taxi service with stops at the La Savina Port and in all town centres. One of the taxis is adapted for disabled passengers. There is also a private sea-taxi service for journeys between Ibiza and Formentera.
Taxi: Es Pujols: +34 971 32 80 16 | Puerto de la Sabina: +34 971 32 20 02 | San Francisco: +34 971 32 20 16 | Radio Taxi: +34 971 32 23 42
Chemists and Health Centres
Formentera Health Centre: Road from La Sabina to San Francisco Km 2.9 07860 Sant Francesc Xavier | Telephone numbers: +34 971 32 23 69 - +34 971 32 23 57
- Chemist Joan Torres Quetglas. Sant Francesc Xavier. +34 971 32 24 19
- Chemist Josep Mayans Ribas. Sant Ferran. +34 971 32 80 04
- Chemist Maiteder de Eguileor Lasquibar. Es Pujols. +34 971 32 86 63
- Chemist Guitart Lorente de No. Es Caló de Sant Agustí. +34 971 32 73 98
Emergency Services Number: 112
Private Medical Centres:
- Medical Centre in la Savina: 971 32 16 80. Urgencias: 6126.96.36.199. www. cmformentera.imedicplatform.com
- Medical Centre in Sant Francesc Xavier. Dra Aparicio. 971 32 28 91. Urgencias: 619 32 58 60
- Medical Centre in Sant Ferran: Dr. Luis Martín Soledad. 971 32 80 64
Important Telephone Numbers:
- Town Council: +34 971 32 10 87
- Local Police: 092/ +34 971 32 20 87
- Civil Guard: +34 971 32 20 22
- Fire service: 092/112
- Formentera Hospital: +34 971 32 12 12
- Taxis Radio Telephone: +34 971 32 23 42
- Emergencies 112
Local holidays: The patron saint days in the different towns on the island are must-see festivals for residents and tourists alike. Festival dates of particular interest are: Sant Jaume (in Sant Francesc) and the Festivity of Carmen, Patron Saint of the Sea, with celebrations in La Savina and Es Pujols. The most important festivals are: Sant Ferran (30th May), Sant Joan (24th June), Day of the Virgin Carmen (16th July), Sant Jaume (25th July), Santa Maria (5th August), Day of Our Lady of the Pillar (12th October), Sant Francesc Xavier (3rd December).
Electricity. The electrical current is 230V and 50Hz.
Petrol Stations. There are two petrol stations on the island, located on the main road between La Savina and Sant Francesc, and Sant Francesc and Sant Ferran. Unleaded petrol (95 or 98 octanes) and diesel are sold.
Tips. Though this is discretional, tipping is common practice in bars, restaurants and for hotel workers, normally between 5-10% of the total consumption.
- 1st January
- 6th January
- Maundy Thursday
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- 1st May: Labour Day
- 15th August: Assumption of Mary
- 12th October: Our Lady of the Pillar
- 1st November: All Saints Day
- 6th December: Spanish Constitution Day
- 8th December: Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception.
- 24th December: Christmas Eve
- 25th December: Christmas Day
- 26th December: St Esteve Day