Language. The official language is Spanish as well as Catalan, which is official in the Balearic Islands. English, German, Italian and French are also spoken in most tourist facilities
Currency. The official currency is the Euro, as in the rest of Spain. Any amount in excess of 6,011 Euro entering or leaving Spain must be declared.
Opening hours. The usual business hours are from 9.00 am to 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm to 8.00 pm. However, many establishments remain open at midday and until midnight. Many shops also open their doors to the public on Sundays or public holidays.
Camping. Due to the small size of the island, there is no campsite on Formentera. Camping is forbidden throughout the island, as is spending the night in any type of vehicle and sleeping on the beach and in wooded areas.
Emergencies. In the event of an emergency, you can ask for immediate help (ambulances, fire brigade, security) by dialling 112, the Balearic Islands emergency service. The call is free and you will be answered promptly in one of four languages (Spanish, Catalan, English and German).
Pets. People wishing to travel to Formentera with their pets should make sure, beforehand, that the accommodation they have chosen accepts pets and that the animals meet the requirements for entry into Spain. In addition, if the animal is considered a dangerous breed, it will have to travel with a certificate to this effect. In any event, the general and particular rules regarding the use of a leash and muzzle and other applicable provisions must be observed. As a general rule, with the exception of guide dogs, pets are prohibited from entering bars, restaurants, food shops, beaches and urban transport. For more details contact the tourist office.
Tourist information offices
- La Savina tourist information office. Estación Marítima de La Savina | Tel.: +34 971 32 20 57 | Fax: +34 971 32 28 25 | email@example.com. Open all year round
- Sant Francesc Xavier tourist information point. Plaza de la Constitución s/n | Tel.: +34 971 323 620 |firstname.lastname@example.org. Open all year round.
- Es Pujols tourist information office. Calle Espalmador esquina Avenida Miramar | Tel.: +34 971 328 997 |email@example.com. Open from 1 May to 30 October.
- Ibiza Airport tourist information office. Tel.: + 34 971 809 118. Monday to Saturday from from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Public transport. Formentera has regular bus lines throughout the year, with increased frequency in the summer months. Timetables and details: Autocares Paya: +34 971 323 181 | www.busformentera.com
Taxis. There is also a taxi service with stops in the port of La Savina and in all towns; one of the taxis is adapted for the disabled. There is also a private sea taxi service for boat trips between Ibiza and Formentera. Taxi: Es Pujols: +34 971 328 016 | Port of La Savina: +34 971 322 002 | San Francisco: +34 971 322 016 | Radio Taxi: +34 971 322 342
- Barco Salao: (+34) 609 84 71 16 | www.formenterawatertaxi.es
- Taximar: +34 629 158 664 – +34 607 188 981 | www.taximar.es
Chemists and health centres
Hospital. Formentera Health Centre. Carretera de La Sabina a San Francisco Km 2.9 07860 Sant Francesc Xavier | Telephone: +34 971 322 369 – +34 971 322 357
- Joan Torres Quetglas Chemist. Sant Francesc Xavier. +34 971 322 419
- Josep Mayans Ribas Chemist. Sant Ferran. +34 971 328 004
- Maiteder de Eguileor Lasquibar Chemist. Es Pujols. +34 971 328 663
- Guitart Lorente de No Chemist. Es Caló de Sant Agustí. +34 971 327 398
Emergency phone number: 112
Private Medical Centres
- Medical Centre in La Savina: www. cmformentera.imedicplatform.com
- Medical Centre in Sant Francesc Xavier: Pedro Piza Clinic
- Medical Centre in Sant Ferran: Dr. Luis Martín Soledad
Useful phone numbers:
- Town hall: +34 971 321 087
- Local Police: 092/ +34 971 322 087
- Guardia Civil: +34 971 322 022
- Fire Brigade: 092/112
- Formentera Hospital: +34 971 321 212
- Radio-Telephone Taxis: +34 971 322 342
- Emergencies: 112
Popular festivals: The patron saints’ days of the different towns on the island are the most important festivities for residents and tourists. The festivity of Sant Jaume (in Sant Francesc) and the festivity of Carmen, patron saint of the sea, with celebrations in La Savina and Es Pujols are some of the most significant. The main festivals are: Sant Ferran (30 May), Sant Joan (24 June), Virgen del Carmen (16 July), Sant Jaume (25 July), Santa Maria (5 August), Virgen del Pilar (12 October) and Sant Francesc Xavier (3 December).
Electricity. The electric current is 230 volts and 50 Hz.
Fuel. There are two petrol stations on the island, located on the main road between the towns of La Savina and Sant Francesc and Sant Francesc and Sant Ferran. Unleaded petrol (95 or 98 octane) and diesel are sold at the petrol stations.
Tips. Although they are optional, it is customary to leave tips in bars, restaurants and for catering staff, normally between 5-10% of the total amount of the bill.
- 1 January.
- 6 January.
- Maundy Thursday.
- Good Friday.
- Easter Monday.
- 1 May Day: Labour Day.
- 15 August: Assumption of Mary.
- 12 October: Virgen del Pilar.
- 15 August: Assumption of Our Lady.
- 1 November: All Saints’ Day.
- 6 December: Spanish Constitution Day.
- 8 December: Immaculate Conception of Our Lady.
- 24 December: Christmas Eve.
- 25 December: Christmas Day.
- 26 December: San Esteban.