Formentera is a true island, as it has no airport and can only be reached by sea. This makes it rather more complicated and expensive to reach. However, the virtues of Formentera – its excellent state of conservation and peacefulness – are largely due to this isolation.
Formentera is reached via the island of Ibiza, which can be reached by air or sea from several mainland ports: Valencia, Denia and Barcelona. The Balearia shipping company operates between the ports of Denia and Formentera directly during the high season.
Once in Ibiza, in order to reach the port of La Savina – the only way in and out of the island – several shipping companies make crossings every day of the week with varying frequency (depending on the season). The crossing between the port of Ibiza and La Savina takes about 35 minutes.
Shipping companies that make crossings to the island from Ibiza:
- Mediterránea Pitiusa: 971 32 24 43 | www.medpitiusa.net
- Trasmapi: 971 31 44 33 | 971 32 27 03 | www.trasmapi.com
- Baleària: 902 160 180 | 971 31 20 71 | www.balearia.net
- Aquabus: Ibiza-Formentera Economic Ferry www.aquabusferryboats.com
Other information of interest
- Próximo ferry: website of complete information on sea crossings between the ports of Ibiza and Formentera: www.proximoferry.com
- Taxi marítimo: Barco Salao: (+34) 609 84 71 16 | www.formenterawatertaxi.es
- Taxi marítimo: Taximar: 629158664 – 607188981 | www.taximar.es
- Acciona Transmediterránea: 902 45 46 45 | www.transmediterranea.es
- Fly & Vai Global Touristic Services: Offers bus transfer service from the airport to the port of Ibiza, boat tickets, accommodation, excursions, car hire and special services. 629 585 917 | www.flyevai.com