The ideal place for runners.
Running, jogging or simply going for a walk is a healthy, simple and inexpensive activity.
It is in fashion -if it has ever stopped being so-, has more and more adepts and provides countless benefits: it releases endorphins, improves fitness, promotes social interaction, relaxes, helps you lose weight, etc.
Thanks to its terrain, its mild climate and the good condition of its paths, whether on the seafront or through pine and juniper forests, Formentera is an ideal place for runners. If you don’t feel like running with no fixed path and prefer to follow a signposted route, in Formentera you will find two of these, with different levels and types of terrain (see map here).
In addition, several annual races have been organised on Formentera to compete, participate or simply run in other people’s company.
- FART (Formentera All Round Trail). A 72.5-kilometre race that runs along the coast of the island, starting and finishing at the Port of La Savina. The 39.5-kilometre Half Round Formentera Trail and the 21-kilometre Tros de Fart are held at the same time. The three races are at the beginning of March. www.trailformentera.com
- “Cursa de la Dona” at the beginning of March, on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- “De Far a Far”, a people’s race and walk between the island’s two lighthouses, La Mola and Es Cap de Barbaria. It is held in April and the distance to be covered is 26 km. www.elitechip.net
- The Illa de Formentera People’s Half Marathon runs from one end of the island to the other, covering 21 kms. It takes place at the beginning of May and attracts hundreds of participants from many different backgrounds. www.marato-formentera.com
- “Formentera to Run” combines holidays and competition. It is a long-distance race that takes place over a week at the beginning of June. It covers the island in 5 stages (total distance 60 kms) with free time in the afternoons to rest and enjoy the island. www.formenteratorun.com
- Formentera Urban Mile + 5K. Held in early July in Es Pujols. www.elitechip.net
- Island of Formentera Triathlon. Held in es Pujols at the beginning of October. Two modalities: Olympic and sprint. www.triatlonformentera.com
- Ascent to La Mola. Held during the festivities of El Pilar (12 October), it has a category for children and an absolute category, which consists of climbing from Es Caló to El Pilar de la Mola and descending again to Es Caló. www.elitechip.net
- “Cross popular Illa de Formentera”. Held on the beach of Illetes in November. www.elitechip.net
- John Tunks Memorial Constitution Race, held in early December. There is a 400-metre race for children, while adults can choose between the 2,800-metre people’s race and the 12-kilometre race around Estany Pudent. It is the oldest race on the Balearic Islands